Christmas calls for something extraordinary, something that is not an everyday item on the menu. Courtesy of Fresh Magazine, this tropical ice cream pudding recipe is refreshing and combines summer fruits with an exotic ingredient. With Christmas just around the corner, it’s time to get your hands dirty and delight your family/friends with this stunning Christmas dessert!
(Prep time: 3 hrs + freezing time, Servings: 12)
- 4L vanilla ice-cream
- 4 passionfruit
- 3 cups diced mango flesh
- 1 cup desiccated coconut
- 165ml can of coconut milk
- 2 limes, rind grated, juiced
- 1 bunch mint & extra, to serve
- 1/4 cup caster sugar
- mango slices, passionfruit pulp, to serve
1. Line a 12-cup pudding basin with a double layer of plastic wrap. Place in the freezer to chill. Remove 2L of ice-cream from the freezer and leave to soften for 5 minutes.
2. Halve passionfruits and scoop pulp into a sieve over a bowl. Discard seeds. Process passionfruit juice and mango flesh in a food processor until smooth.
3. Scoop softened ice-cream into a large bowl and quickly stir in mango mixture until combined. Transfer to pudding basin and, using a large spoon, spread thickly over base and side, leaving the centre empty. Freeze for 1 hour.
4. Remove remaining ice-cream from freezer and scoop about 3/4 into a bowl. Add coconut and coconut milk and stir to combine. Spoon into centre of mango layer, spreading over the base and side. Freeze for 1 hour.
5. Combine lime rind and 1/3 cup of the juice in a bowl and place a sieve over bowl. Process mint leaves, sugar and 2 tbs water until finely chopped. Quickly pour into sieve, pressing to extract juice. Scoop remaining ice-cream into a bowl and soften slightly. Add lime mixture and stir to combine. Pour into the centre of pudding to fill and spread any remaining over the top of the ice-cream (this will be the base).Cover with plastic and freeze overnight.
6. To serve, dip basin in hot water to loosen pudding. Turn out onto a chilled plate and remove plastic. Smooth sides with a warm flat knife to remove creases. Top with mango, passionfruit and mint to serve.